Are you looking to add a new furry friend to your family but unsure if you should choose a cat, dog or even both? Our Citrus Heights vets talk about how rewarding raising a puppy and kitten together can be and how to ensure a good match.
About Raising Puppies & Kittens Together
It is always exciting to get a new pet, but it can be scary to get two new fur babies at the same time. There are a lot of benefits to raising your new puppy and kitten together. When dogs and cats are introduced properly at a young age, the hate and fear instinct doesn't have the chance to grow and increase in them so they can overcome it a lot faster. This is not always the cause, it can depend on the breed but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be the perfect match for each other.
Our Family Friends Veterinary Hospital vets will explain why raising them both at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons including:
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keep Each other Company- When you have to leave the house your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and the puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
One benefit of raising a puppy and a kitten together is that they will most likely be the best of friends for life. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Certain types of dogs -- those with a strong prey drive -- aren't usually good with felines. Think twice about keeping any kind of terrier, sighthound, or husky with cats. Spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good with kittens.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.